How do you assess the success of your product feature? In this article, we talk about measuring Feature Feedback and aligning the product based on user requirements and expectations.
The success of a SaaS company depends mainly on how the customers perceive its products. While releasing new features based on customer feedback is essential for SaaS companies, measuring how those features perform and match customer expectations is equally important. Failing to do so can result in customer churn and lost revenue. Companies like HubSpot, Slack, and Canva have excelled in delivering features that their customers really need. But is it enough for SaaS companies to simply listen and offer feature requests?
In this article, we explore how to measure feature feedback and feature success to ensure that your product meets your users' needs.
Measure Product Feedback & User Insights 💻
With Product Feedback Surveys, understand what users need and learn ways to delight your customers.
In 2016, Evernote introduced 'Context,' a highly requested feature that gave users relevant information and content related to their notes. However, after the release, many users found the feature was distracting, cluttered, and slowed the app.
Many users decided to switch to other note-taking apps, and Evernote's revenue decreased by 8% in 2016, and by the end of the year, the company had lost over 20 million users. To incur the losses, it had to increase pricing by 40%, adding to customer churn.
What did Evernote do next?
Like any other company, it decided to improve the ‘context’ feature based on its intrusiveness and relevance. But the damage had already been done, and the company continued to struggle to regain the trust of its users.
This raises the question - how can SaaS companies measure feature feedback to ensure that their customers are happy with the product and give positive product feedback?
Table of Content
- What is Feature Feedback?
- Feature Feedback Survey Template
- Feature Feedback Survey Questions
- Questions to Measure Customer Experience (CX Metrics)
- Feature Feedback Survey Questions on User Adoption
- Feature Feedback Survey Questions on Competitor Comparison
- Feature Feedback Survey Questions on Integration
- Feature Feedback Survey Questions on Functionality
- Feature Feedback Survey Questions on Performance
- Feature Feedback Survey Questions on Onboarding Experience
What is Feature Feedback?
Product Feature Feedback refers to the valuable input, suggestions, and opinions shared by users regarding specific features of the product. It helps measure user experience with the feature, identify areas for improvement, highlights user needs and preferences, and guides product development teams towards delivering a better user experience.
Feature Feedback is most relevant when measured within the product itself, while or after the customer has used the feature. Feature Feedback can be measured using short questionnaires and microsurveys.
Feature Feedback Survey Template
If you're looking at getting started to measuring feature feedback within your product, here's a quick Survey Template you can implement in-app and in-product.
Feature Feedback Survey Questions
Designing an effective Feature Feedback Survey includes adding questions that are carefully crafted to elicit meaningful responses from customers and provide actionable insights. A feature feedback survey should take a holistic approach and examine all aspects of the user experience related to the feature in the product. This includes ease of use (measured by the CES score) and other factors such as usefulness, reliability, and overall satisfaction.
Here are some feature feedback survey questions that you can add to your feature feedback to gauge different aspects of the feature in a product:
1. Questions to Measure Customer Experience (CX Metrics)
One of the easiest and most effective ways to measure Feature Feedback is by using the most popular CX Metrics - Customer Satisfaction Score, Net Promoter Score, and Customer Effort Score. Either of these questions can be added to gain insights into customer satisfaction, loyalty, and usability. This information can be used to make data-driven decisions on improving and optimizing the feature to meet customers' needs and expectations better.
Here are some examples of Feature Feedback Questions based on CX Metrics.
- Net Promoter Score
How likely are you to recommend this feature to your colleagues? (Use the NPS question to determine if the customers are satisfied with the feature and would be willing to recommend it to others.)
- Customer Satisfaction Survey
How satisfied are you with this feature on a scale of 1-10? (Use the CSAT question to gauge if your customers are satisfied and if it meets their customer needs and expectations.)
- Customer Effort Score
How easy was it for you to use this feature and create your workflow? (Use the CES question to understand if your customers found the product feature user-friendly.)
2. Feature Feedback Survey Questions based on User Adoption
As a product owner or developer, it's crucial to gather feedback from your users to understand how your product's features are being received. One way to do this is through a feature feedback survey based on user adoption. This type of survey is designed to help you evaluate how well your product's features are meeting the needs of your users and identify the scope of improvement. Here are some questions that can be included in a feature feedback survey based on user adoption.
- Have you used the new feature? If so, how frequently?
- Did you encounter any difficulties while trying to use this feature?
- What improvements could be made to encourage greater usage of this feature?
- Did you find the feature easy to understand and use?
- Did this feature solve the problem that you were trying to address?
- Was the feature integrated seamlessly into your current workflow?
- Did you experience any issues or difficulties when trying to use the feature?
3. Feature Feedback Survey Questions based on Competitor Comparison
To stay ahead of the competition, it's important to regularly evaluate your product's features in comparison to those of your competitors. By gathering feedback from your users regarding how your product's features stack up against those of your competitors, you can identify areas for improvement and ensure that your product remains competitive in the marketplace.
Here are some questions that can be included in a feature feedback survey based on competitor comparison:
- Are there any features that competitors offer that are not available in this product?
- Are there any features in this product that are better than those offered by competitors?
- How does this feature compare to similar features offered by our competitors?
- How does our feature stack up in terms of pricing compared to competitors?
- Do you think our feature provides better value for money than similar features from competitors?
- Would you recommend our product over competitors based on this feature?
4. Feature Feedback Survey Questions based on Integration
In today's tech-savvy world, integrating your product with other systems or platforms can be key to its success. However, it's essential to gather feedback from users to ensure that the integration of your product's features is seamless and effective.
By gathering feedback from users regarding the integration of your product's features with other systems or platforms, you can identify any issues or areas for improvement. Here are some questions that can be included in a feature feedback survey based on integration:
- Did this feature integrate seamlessly with other parts of the product?
- Did you encounter any issues integrating this feature with other tools or services?
- Were you able to easily configure or customize this feature to meet your specific needs?
- Was the integration process smooth and easy to complete?
- Were there any technical issues that you encountered during the integration process?
- Did you require any additional support or guidance during the integration process? If so, was it provided promptly and effectively?
- Have you experienced any issues with the integration since completing the process?
- Have you seen any improvements in your workflow or productivity due to the integration?
- Has the integration saved you time or effort in completing tasks?
5. Feature Feedback Survey Questions based on Functionality
Conducting a feature feedback survey based on functionality enables you to gather valuable insights directly from users and allows you to assess whether your product's features are effectively fulfilling their intended purpose and providing a seamless user experience while delivering the desired outcomes.
Here are some questions that you can consider adding to the feature feedback survey to gauge the functionality of your new feature:
- Did the feature perform as you expected it to?
- Did you encounter any bugs or issues while using this feature?
- Were there any aspects of the feature that needed to be clarified or clarified?
- How has the feature impacted your workflow or productivity?
- Have you seen any improvements in your work due to using the feature?
- Have you explored all of the available options within the feature?
6. Feature Feedback Survey Questions based on Performance
Product performance is a crucial aspect that can significantly impact the user experience and satisfaction. Conducting a feature feedback survey based on performance can help you assess how well your product's features are performing and identify areas for improvement. By gathering feedback directly from your users, you can get an understanding of whether your product is performing optimally, meeting user expectations, and delivering the intended outcomes.
Here are some questions that can be included in a feature feedback survey to gauge the performance of your new feature:
- Did this feature impact the overall performance of the product (e.g., speed, load times, etc.)?
- Did this feature work consistently across different devices or platforms?
- Did this feature impact the battery life or resource usage of your device?
- How well does this feature integrate with other features or tools you use?
- How fast does this feature respond to your commands or inputs?
- Have you noticed any impact on the performance or stability of your system since you started using the feature?
7. Feature Feedback Survey Questions based on Onboarding Experience
The onboarding experience is a critical factor in determining the success of your product and the satisfaction of your customers. By gathering feedback from users during the onboarding process, you can determine whether the product is easy to set up, navigate, and understand.
Additionally, you can gain insights into how effectively your product is being communicated to your customers and how well it aligns with their needs and expectations. Here are some questions that you can include in a feature feedback survey to gain insights into the onboarding experience.
- Was it easy to get started with this feature?
- Were there any aspects of the onboarding process that you found confusing or frustrating?
- How clear were the instructions provided during the onboarding process?
- Did the onboarding process adequately explain the purpose and benefits of the feature?
- How long did it take you to complete the onboarding process?
- Was the onboarding process engaging and interactive?
- Were there any features or functionalities you expected to see during the onboarding process that were not present?
Measuring feature feedback in your product is crucial for understanding how your users perceive and engage with your product features. It allows you to identify potential areas of improvement and prioritize your product roadmap accordingly.
Adding product feature feedback questions that assess various aspects of your product, such as general customer satisfaction using CX metrics, new user adoption, onboarding experience, and feature functionality and performance, can provide you with a complete picture of how well your product feature is performing and whether it aligns with customer needs. Employing a mix of different product feature feedback questions can help you improve your product, enhance user satisfaction, and maintain a competitive edge.
Using the right Product feedback tool for analyzing the feedback received from these questions, you can identify areas that need improvement and take the necessary steps to optimize your product for better user engagement and satisfaction.