While customer actions like purchases, returns, complaints, and requests can provide feedback to some understanding, the most effective way to obtain valuable information is by directly asking customers for feedback. Customer satisfaction surveys offer a powerful tool to measure satisfaction, improve your products and services, and foster customer loyalty and retention.
In this article, we will explore what customer satisfaction surveys are, their types, some effective questions to measure customer satisfaction, survey tools, and some best practices to conduct effective customer satisfaction (CSAT) surveys. Let's get started!
Customer satisfaction surveys are questionnaires used by businesses of all scales to ask for customer feedback and measure customer satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the products, services, and experience with the brand.
The basis of effective customer satisfaction surveys is the right survey questions. You can use various types of questions like Likert scale questions, ranking questions, emoticon rating questions, and open-ended questions to capture customer opinions.
You can use different types of questions for different stages of the customer lifecycle - general, demographic, post-purchase, and support feedback questions.
CX metrics like CSAT, NPS, and CES are also very helpful in capturing the voice of customers, measuring satisfaction, and tracking ongoing customer trends.
Customer satisfaction questions can adapt to specific industries or user groups, such as guest, patient, client satisfaction for SaaS, passenger satisfaction for travel, and visitor satisfaction for retail and museums.
For sharing your surveys with the customers, you can use a variety of survey channels like website surveys, in-product surveys and microsurveys, Android tablets, smartphones, survey kiosks, emails, SMS, QR codes, and offline surveys.
Zonka Feedback provides a user-friendly platform to create, send, and measure surveys. Sign up for a Free Trial to explore its features.
Measure Customer Satisfaction and Improve Customer Experience🔥
Create customized surveys and feedback forms and take real-time feedback from your customers at all touchpoints.
What is a Customer Satisfaction Survey?
Customer satisfaction surveys are structured questionnaires that are used by businesses of all scales to ask customers for feedback and measure customer satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the products, services, interactions, and their overall experiences with the brand.
A typical customer satisfaction survey asks the customers a basic question - 'How satisfied are you with <xyz>? And the respondents can answer ranging on a 1 to 5 rating scale- 1 being 'Very Satisfied' and 5 being ' Very Dissatisfied'. The answers can also be rated on a 5-star scale, smiley rating scale, heart scale, via Likert scale surveys, and more.
CX Metrics to Measure Customer Satisfaction
CX metrics are a great way to collect quantitative customer feedback and measure customer satisfaction as well. Let's learn how you can use these survey metrics and their survey questions to measure customer satisfaction.
- Customer Satisfaction (CSAT) score is a metric that businesses use to measure the level of satisfaction of customers by asking them to rate their experience on a five-point rating scale.
A sample survey question to measure customers’ overall satisfaction would be: 'How satisfied are you with your recent experience with our products and services?'
- Net Promoter Score (NPS) is another popular customer feedback survey metric that businesses use to measure customer satisfaction and loyalty in terms of their likelihood to recommend the business or its products and services to their friends and known ones.
Here is the popular NPS survey question which is also known as 'The Ultimate Question' of the Net Promoter Score System: 'How likely are you to recommend this business to your friends and colleagues on a scale of 0 to 10?' Rating options of 0 to 10 are provided to the customers where 10 means ‘Most Likely’ and 0 means ‘Not at all Likely’.
- Customer Effort Score or CES primarily focuses on measuring customers’ satisfaction in terms of their own experience of ease of doing business and perceived efforts to get a job done or issues resolved.
Here is the customer effort score or CES survey question: To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement, ‘The company made it easy for me to resolve my issues. The rating scale ranges from Strongly Disagree to Strongly Agree.
Types of Customer Satisfaction Questions
In order to leverage a customer satisfaction survey and find meaningful customer insights, it is crucial to select the right questions for your surveys.
You can ask different types of questions in your customer satisfaction surveys. These could include:
Likert Scale Survey Questions: To capture responses from customers on different aspects on a five-point scale (most commonly used) or a three, four, seven, ten, or eleven-point scale.
Multiple Choice Survey Questions: To understand what the customers liked the best from a list of different options provided.
Open-ended Survey Questions: A text box or comment box question asking users to share their experience in their own words.
Rating or Ranking Question: Using different ranking or rating scales to capture quantitative feedback regarding the satisfaction level.
Icon, Image, or Emoji Rating Scale: Offering a visually appealing rating scale including smileys, hearts, images, or other icons to gauge feedback.
If you want to improve the overall satisfaction of your customers with your brand, you can leverage this customer satisfaction survey template and understand the factors that contribute to customer contentment and pinpoint areas for refinement.
Let’s explore the survey question types that you can use at different touchpoints to measure customer satisfaction.
Customer Satisfaction Survey Questions for Different Touchpoints
Measure the satisfaction across the customer journey and touchpoints to understand strengths and areas for improvement. Here are key customer satisfaction questions for different pain points stages and customer segments of the customer journey.
1. General Customer Satisfaction Survey Questions
General customer satisfaction survey questions can provide an overall view of how satisfied customers are with your products, services, or overall experience. These can also be used as a voice of customer surveys to listen to your customers. A customer satisfaction survey template can be effective in gauging customer sentiments on those aspects.
Here are some general types of questions for creating customer satisfaction surveys and survey templates.
- How satisfied are you with the overall experience with the company?
- How satisfied are you with the products of our brand?
- How satisfied are you with the timeliness of the delivery of our products and services?
- Do you agree that the company introduces new and innovative upgrades and updates in the products?
- How would you rate the offers and schemes run by the company?
- How would you rate the service experience with our company?
2. Post-Purchase Survey Questions
Post-purchase survey questions are those that help you gauge customer satisfaction with their experience of making purchases. The responses to these questions uncover how effective your purchase process seems to the customers and how satisfied they are with their purchase experience. You can leverage a post-purchase survey template to gauge customer satisfaction or create your own from scratch.
Here are the post-purchase questions you should ask.
- How satisfied are you with your recent purchase experience with us?
- Do you agree that it was easy and convenient to make purchases with us?
- Did you encounter any issues while making the purchase?
- How satisfied are you with our billing process?
- Do you agree that there were enough billing options available to make the process easy for you?
- Based on your recent purchase experience, how likely are you to make more purchases in the future?
- Based on your recent purchase experience, how likely are you to recommend our business to your friends and colleagues on a scale of 0 to 10?
3. Product Usage Feedback Questions
Product usage feedback questions can help you understand how customers feel about your product, how they are using your product, what they like about it, and areas for improvement. To measure quantitative customer satisfaction, we can use various question types like the Likert scale and metrics like CSAT, NPS, and CES.
Here are some product usage feedback questions for a customer satisfaction survey:
- How satisfied are you with this product?
- How would you rate the performance of the product?
- How would you rate the product quality?
- Do you agree that the features of the product are useful and appropriate for your needs?
- How easy is it to use the product?
- Did you experience any issues or malfunctioning while using the product?
- Would you like to share any special experience with the product?
- Would you like to share any suggestions to improve the product?
4. Customer Support Feedback Questions
Great customer service and support are essential to ensure customer satisfaction. Using the right customer support or customer service feedback questions is crucial for understanding how satisfied customers are with the support they receive and identifying areas for improvement.
The CES survey question is one of the most appropriate questions to collect feedback about customer support. You can leverage a customer effort score survey template to gauge customer satisfaction with the support team.
Here are some customer service survey questions to include in your next customer service team satisfaction survey.
- Do you agree that the customer support team helped you enough to resolve your issues?
- Based on your recent interaction, how would you rate your overall experience with our customer support Team?
- How would you rate the clarity and effectiveness of the communication with the support team?
- How would you rate the professionalism and conduct of the support representative?
- How satisfied are you with the response time of our support team?
5. Open-Ended Customer Satisfaction Survey Questions
To gauge customer loyalty and satisfaction by obtaining rich customer experience data in detail, you need to ask open-ended questions from the same customers.
You don’t need to include a lot of open-ended questions as this can make the customer satisfaction survey results lengthier and time-consuming for the customers, but make sure to include at least one or a maximum of two open-ended questions in your customer satisfaction surveys.
- Would you like to share any special experiences with our business?
- Is there anything you'd like to suggest to improve our products or services?
- Can you please describe in detail the issue you faced so that we can understand the exact situation and make things better for you?
Let’s explore creating some free customer satisfaction survey templates and survey questions that you can use for different industries.
Customer Satisfaction Survey Questions Across Use Cases
Customer satisfaction is crucial for the success of any organization. Whether you are in the hospitality industry, healthcare sector, SaaS product business, travel or airline industry, or running a store or educational institution, understanding and measuring customer satisfaction is essential.
This can be achieved through the implementation of customer satisfaction surveys tailored to each specific use case.
1. Guest Satisfaction Survey Questions
Guest satisfaction surveys are specifically designed for hotels, restaurants, resorts, and event venues to measure guest satisfaction and ensure memorable experiences for your guests. A guest satisfaction survey template can come in handy if you want to streamline the process and gather customer feedback.
Here are a few best practices and some effective customer experience survey questions for hotels and the hospitality industry that you can use in your guest surveys.
- How satisfied are you with your overall experience of staying at our hotel?
- How would you rate the cleanliness and hygiene of the hotel/restaurant?
- How would you rate your check-in experience at our hotel?
- How would you rate the overall quality of your room?
- How would you rate the facilities and amenities at the hotel?
- How would you rate the service at our hotel/restaurant?
- Do you agree that the hotel staff was friendly and supportive?
- How would you rate your check-out experience at our hotel?
- Would you like to share any special or memorable experiences of your stay with our hotel?
- Did you face any issues or difficulties during your stay? If yes, please describe in detail so that we can make things better for you.
- Would you like to share any suggestions to improve our services?
- Based on your recent experience with us, how likely are you to recommend us on a scale of 0 to 10?
2. Patient Satisfaction Survey Questions
Talking about the healthcare industry, patients nowadays are more aware and their expectations have risen to a great extent. Therefore it is necessary to ensure patient satisfaction to run a hospital or a healthcare center successfully.
A patient satisfaction survey template can help you collect patient feedback and understand how well your patients perceive your healthcare services. Here are some patient satisfaction survey questions that can serve the purpose.
- How satisfied are you with your overall experience at our hospital/clinic?
- How would you rate the quality of treatment provided at the hospital/clinic?
- Were you able to easily get an appointment with our doctor?
- Did you have to wait for a long time for your appointment with the doctor?
- How satisfied are you with the billing experience at the hospital?
- Do you agree that the doctors were able to diagnose your issues properly?
- Were the doctors able to explain to you the diagnosis and the treatment plan properly?
- How satisfied are you with the cleanliness and hygiene standards of the hospital/clinic?
- How satisfied are you with the discharge process and follow-up instructions given to you?
- Based on your experience with our healthcare services, how likely are you to consult us for future healthcare needs?
- Based on your experience of treatment at our hospital/clinic, how likely are you to recommend this hospital to your friends and family on a scale of 0 to 10?
3. Client Satisfaction Survey Questions
When you are in the SaaS product business, it is important to collect product feedback from your clients to know how the customer feels about how your product is performing and to ensure client satisfaction. For this purpose, you should use client satisfaction surveys with the right questions to gather customer feedback.
Here are some effective client feedback questions that you and business professionals can include in your own surveys to foster client retention and enhance overall satisfaction.
- How would you rate your overall experience with the product?
- Do you agree that it was easy to use the product/service?
- How would you rate the features and functionality of the product?
- Do you agree that the product and its features provide good value for money?
- How satisfied are you with the onboarding process?
- Were you able to clearly understand all the functions and features of the product during onboarding and training?
- How would you rate the product in terms of compatibility and integrability of the product?
- How confident are you with the data security and privacy of the product?
- How satisfied are you with the customer support provided for the product?
- How satisfied are you with the upgrades and updates of the product?
- How well are you able to meet your objectives of using the product?
- Did you face any bugs or technical issues while using the product?
- Based on your experience with our product, how likely are you to recommend this product to your friends and colleagues on a scale of 0 to 10?
4. Passenger Satisfaction Survey Questions
When you are in the travel or airline industry, it is vital to ensure passenger satisfaction for running the business successfully. Passenger satisfaction surveys help you to understand how travelers perceive their experience during a journey.
Here are some passenger satisfaction questions that you can ask in your travel satisfaction surveys to ensure a great travel experience for your passengers.
- How would you rate your overall experience of the journey?
- How satisfied are you with the booking process?
- How would you rate the check-in/boarding process in terms of efficiency and convenience?
- How would you rate the space and seating arrangement in terms of comfort level?
- How would you rate the cleanliness and ambiance of the flight/bus?
- How would you rate the quality of onboarding services provided?
- How satisfied are you with the quality of food served during the journey?
- How satisfied are you with the punctuality and timeliness of the journey?
- How would you rate the behavior and friendliness of our staff?
- How satisfied are you with the handling of the luggage during the journey?
- Do you agree that the travel experience provided good value for money for the price paid?
- Is there anything that we can do to further improve your travel experience?
- Would you like to share any special experiences during the journey?
- Based on your recent experience, how likely are you to use this transportation facility in the future?
- Based on your recent experience, how likely are you to recommend this transport facility to your friends and colleagues on a scale of 0 to 10?
5. Visitor Satisfaction Survey Questions
Visitor satisfaction questions are useful when you are running stores, museums, or other attractions where your primary customers are the visitors of that place.
Here are some customer satisfaction survey questions that you can use in your visitor satisfaction surveys or museum visitor surveys to gauge and improve your visitors’ experiences.
- How would you rate your overall experience during the visit?
- How satisfied are you with the appearance and decor of the place?
- How would you rate the quality of the products/exhibits?
- How satisfied are you with the availability of the variety of products/exhibits?
- How satisfied are you with the level of customer service provided during your visit?
- How would you rate the behavior and friendliness of the staff?
- How would you rate the knowledge and expertise of the staff?
- Do you agree that your visit provided good value for the price paid?
- Did you face any long waiting times for entry, assistance, or services?
- How likely are you to revisit this place in the future?
- Based on your experience, how likely are you to recommend your friends and family to visit this store/museum?
- Would you like to share any special experiences during your visit?
- Would you like to share any suggestions for improvement?
6. Student Satisfaction Survey Questions
When you are in the education industry and running an educational institute or a coaching center, student satisfaction is your primary objective. Student satisfaction surveys can help you attain this objective.
For this, asking the right student satisfaction questions is essential for understanding students' experiences and identifying areas for improvement in educational institutions.
Here are some student feedback questions for a student satisfaction survey.
- How satisfied are you with the overall experience at our coaching center?
- How would you rate the quality of education you receive?
- How would you rate the trial coaching session you attended today?
- Based on your experience with our free trial class, how likely are you to join our coaching classes?
- Do you agree that the faculty members effectively convey the subject matter?
- Do you agree that all your doubts related to the subject matter are cleared by the respective faculty members?
- How comfortable are you with the campus environment and safety?
- How satisfied are you with the quality of learning material provided by the institution?
- Do you agree that the quality of coaching provided provides good value for the fees charged?
- Based on your experience of attending classes, how likely are you to recommend this coaching institute to your friends and known ones?
By using these CSAT survey questions, you can harness the power of customer satisfaction Surveys to gain valuable customer insights and leverage them to grow your business.
Let's explore the different ways of sharing your customer satisfaction surveys with the customers below.
Channels to Share Customer Satisfaction Surveys
Utilize multichannel survey software to easily share surveys with customers through various survey channels. Let's explore how to share customer satisfaction data from surveys effectively.
1. In-Product Surveys & Microsurveys
In-product or in-app surveys are a great way to collect product feedback if you are in the product or SaaS industry. Your product users can take these surveys while using your app or product at different touchpoints and share feedback. Microsurveys are best for this purpose.
Microsurveys are short surveys that you can share on your product, website, or app at various touchpoints of the customer journey. They are short and targeted surveys for measuring customer satisfaction at specific touchpoints like a free trial, purchasing, onboarding, using the product, and seeking customer feedback questions about service or support.
2. Website Surveys
You can also share your customer satisfaction surveys on your websites in various ways. You can share website-embedded surveys, and provide opportunities for the website visitors to share feedback through feedback widgets like popups, slide-ups, and feedback buttons.
Here are some of the top website feedback widgets you can use:
Popup surveys appear as a small window in the center of the screen based on triggers set by you, capturing customers' attention and asking them to share feedback.
Feedback buttons appear as small buttons at the right, left, or bottom of your web pages to encourage your customers to share unsolicited feedback without disturbing them.
A slide-up survey is designed to appear as a feedback window sliding up from the bottom of the screen on certain user actions or triggers.
3. Offline Surveys
Offline customer sentiment surveys, are an effective way of capturing your customer's minds and sentiments when you want to collect on-premises feedback at a physical location like stores, hotels, or restaurants. You can use devices like iPhones, iPads, Android tablets, and smartphones to collect offline customer feedback and measure customer happiness.
Approach customers, hand over your device, and ask for their feedback via surveys. Alternatively, you can also set up unattended kiosks for customers to complete surveys at your location without supervision.
Offline surveys can work with or without the Internet.
An offline survey app or software is also helpful if you want to conduct field surveys and capture your customer's experience or sentiments in remote areas, or if the internet connection is slow at your location.
This valuable data thus collected will help you make better business decisions and enhance customer satisfaction.
4. Email Surveys
An email survey is sent to the customers as an email invitation to take the customer satisfaction survey. It can be sent in three ways, viz, embedded email survey, email survey with hyperlinks, and email signature surveys.
In an embedded survey email, the first question of the email is embedded and displayed in the email body itself. As the customers click to answer the question, the response gets recorded and the survey opens with the second question.
In an email survey with Hyperlink, the survey email contains a survey invitation message followed by a hyperlink to the survey. When the customers visit the link, it takes them to the full customer satisfaction survey.
An email signature survey is embedded in the signature of an email used for customer interaction for any purpose rather than sending a feedback survey in a separate email bothering the customers with survey invitation emails.
With good email survey software, you can easily send surveys through emails to multiple customers in one go.
5. SMS Surveys
SMS Surveys are sent as text messages to the customers inviting them to take the survey. The message is followed by the survey link opening, the survey opens on the mobile screen of the customers, and the customers can take the survey and submit their responses.
You can use SMS survey software to send out your desired text survey to your customers and capture data about their satisfaction.
4. QR Code Surveys
You can also share QR codes with your existing customers either on the boards at your premises or product boxes. Customers can scan these codes through their mobile devices take the survey easily and submit the responses.
Our List of Best Customer Satisfaction Survey Examples
Customer satisfaction surveys are a great way to know how your own customers feel and perceive your brand, products, and services. Big brands have realized the power of these surveys and are leveraging them to attain more customer success in their businesses.
Here are some examples of top brands that use customer satisfaction surveys to collect feedback, segment customers, make improvements, and ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
Apple, one of the world's leading technology companies, frequently surveys customers for feedback and satisfaction measurement. This aids product, service, and user experience enhancement. Customer feedback has bolstered Apple's loyalty and brand advocacy.
2. Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines is one of the most effective customer satisfaction survey examples. It is renowned for its commitment to customer satisfaction. They employ travel surveys to grasp passenger needs, preferences, and issues, refining services and ensuring content for passengers.
This strategy has enabled Southwest Airlines to enhance services, efficiency, and customer loyalty in a competitive market.
3. Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic, a leading healthcare institution, employs patient-centered care and quality services. They utilize patient satisfaction surveys, including health survey questions, to gather feedback on healthcare experiences.
These surveys assess communication, wait times, cleanliness, staff responsiveness, and overall satisfaction. Feedback guides improvements, fostering loyalty, positive reviews, and industry renown.
3. Marriott International
Marriott International, a global hospitality leader, conducts guest surveys to evaluate hotel experiences. Addressing issues swiftly based on survey feedback, Marriott provides personalized service, ensuring guest satisfaction, loyalty, and positive brand reputation.
Slack, a renowned team communication platform, harnesses product feedback and client surveys for user insights and product enhancement. In-app and email surveys collect feedback about user experiences.
The survey responses shape Slack's feature perception, interface, and functionality. Feedback guides improvements and feature prioritization. This user-focused strategy fosters user loyalty, usability, and broad adoption in the competitive SaaS market.
5. Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, located in New York City, uses visitor satisfaction surveys to evaluate the visitors’ experiences and understand their preferences and needs. They offer survey kiosks throughout the museum and also send post-visit email surveys to visitors.
Through these surveys, the museum gathers visitor feedback on various aspects, including visitor satisfaction levels with the exhibits, visitor services, staff interactions, and accessibility. The feedback data is used to assess visitor engagement and identify opportunities to enhance the visitor experience.
By gathering feedback and incorporating visitor feedback into the decision-making processes, the museum has made strategic improvements and has seen increased visitor satisfaction, positive word-of-mouth, and higher customer retention and rates.
Let’s explore some best practices to conduct customer surveys.
Some Best Practices to Conduct Customer Feedback Surveys
To create powerful surveys and collect valuable customer feedback data, you need to follow some best practices.
Avoid Overwhelming Your Customers with Lengthy Surveys - Ensure concise, focused surveys to prevent irritation and abandonment. Short surveys boost response rates and prevent fatigue. Share microsurveys at touchpoints on the website or in-product feedback for relevancy.
Make them Simple and Easy to Understand - Use clear language in survey questions for easy comprehension and response. Avoid technical jargon to make the survey accessible to all target audiences, regardless of expertise.
Do not Confuse your Customers - Address single aspects per question, avoiding double-barreled confusion. Clarity prevents abandonment and inaccurate, skewed responses.
Use a Fair Approach - Create balanced and neutral questions that do not lead customers toward a specific response. Avoid leading questions to collect unbiased feedback, enabling you to make data-driven decisions.
Make Sure the Surveys are Optimized for Mobile Devices - Optimize surveys for mobile use due to rising device prevalence. Over 90% use mobile for surveys (Google). Mobile-friendly surveys ensure ease, higher response rates, and better customer representation.
Let Customers Share their Experiences in their own way - Include an open-ended question for customer opinions and experiences. These qualitative insights complement quantitative data, adding depth and context.
If you utilize customer surveys and follow these best practices, it will be very beneficial for your business. Let's understand this better by exploring some benefits of customer satisfaction surveys.
Benefits of Customer Satisfaction Surveys
Customer satisfaction surveys can fetch you numerous benefits that can contribute to the success of your loyal customers and feel your business.
It provides valuable insights regarding what your customers like or dislike about your products, services, and business. You know the strengths and weaknesses of your product, helping you identify areas that they're willing to pay for.
One bad experience can lead the customers astray. Knowing the reason behind their dissatisfaction could help improve the experience and retain them.
Customers who feel they're being heard and their satisfaction matters, tend to be more loyal to the brand.
Markets shift and customer expectations change. Through customer surveys, you can identify trends and make the required changes.
A well-timed customer satisfaction survey can help improve the customer experience at each touchpoint and improve the overall customer journey.
You can also send a customer satisfaction survey post an interaction with the support team to track the performance of your customer service teams and representatives.
You know what makes your customers happy and satisfied. Use this insight to validate or make effective feedback-driven decisions.
Remember, these customer satisfaction score surveys should not only be limited to the business performing low. Continuous customer feedback matters – even when things are good. It nurtures customer relationships and gauges your success in meeting expectations.
It is essential to measure customer satisfaction for optimal customer service representatives using surveys. They require proper questions for effectiveness and accurate feedback. Utilize quality customer satisfaction software for creating, sharing, and analyzing surveys.
Zonka Feedback is one of the best customer satisfaction tools. It offers ready-to-use, customizable survey templates for insightful data collection. Advanced features like skip logic and question branching create logical, dynamic, and conversational surveys.
With features like real-time feedback notifications and alerts, it also enables you to take instant action on feedback to close the feedback loop, improve customer experience, and thus enhance your customer satisfaction score. Try Zonka Feedback for free for 14 days and see how it works to boost the customer journey for your business.